Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Flashback...



So today it's been 5 months since I arrived in Dubai. It's gone really fast, and I can't believe how quickly I started referring to my flat as "home". Of course, Australia will always be HOME home, but I guess for ease I might as well have 'Home 1' and 'Home 2'. While here I do want to learn more about this country and the Emirati people. One awesome wish of mine is to make friends with a local girl my own age. I know this is probably very unlikely, but you just never know. I've joined a few social groups online which organise events for ladies only, so maybe I might just make a new local friend here.

Here's the first photo ever of me in Dubai. I took this in the car on the way from the airport to my apartment building. How tired/shellshocked do I look! Haha...


On arrival I was extremely tired (only slept 3 hours of the 12 hour flight, and had been awake all night for days before leaving) and the driving scared me. (I'm used to it now but still ALWAYS wear my seatbelt in cars/buses) I snapped this photo right before we got onto Sheikh Zayed Road.



Despite my jetlag, I was still pretty excited to get my first glimpse of Burj Khalifa. Nothing like a giant wonder of architecture to wake you up from a jetlag-induced coma.



After spending the eary hours of the day unpacking & getting settled in, I ventured outside to find a store to purchase some food & bottle water. After dropping this off in the flat, I made my way to the Metro station (luckily for me, right near my building)



bought a Nol card and visited my first shopping mall, Mall of the Emirates. There I bought a few things for the apartment and a mobile phone. Later, some of my new colleagues said they didn't go outside until their flatmates got home and were amazed I was brave enough to do it. Guess I'm not such a chicken after all... :P

3 comments:

  1. LOL I totally get your "home" problem, I call both my apartment and my parents' house (where I lived ever since I came to Australia 20 years ago) "Home". Always makes people confused when they ask what I'm doing over the weekend, and I say I'm going home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably would have NEVER left my apartment had one of my batchmates not dragged me out.
    In my defense, I didn't know what street I lived on or how to pronounce the name of my building, so I didn't want to venture too far. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope you're having fun in dxb! see you around... :)

    ReplyDelete

Speak up!

My Instagram