One of my biggest goals for this year relates to finances. I think in 2009 I was really in denial about just out of shape my bank accounts were. Now I've put one of my resolutions into action and have decided that this year, I am going to pay off as much of my debts as I can.
First step was to consolidate my credit cards into one account with a low interest rate. I always told myself not to get stuck into the credit card trap, but it just kind of happened, what with going on holidays, fixing my car and various other 'unexpected' expenses that popped up...
Now I've got 2.99% for 12 months on a balance transfer. I've paid off $700 on the card with the highest rate, and am beginning to attack the card with the larger balance. Soon they'll go onto the transfer so the interest payments will cut down, which is great. I'm going to try to shop less and only buy things that I actually NEED, rather than WANT (E.g. buying new underwear for work=ok Buying Victoria's Secret because it looks pretty= Not ok.)
I also said goodbye to my car insurance provider as I found comparable cover for a good few hundred dollars less- we tend to get attached to the ones we have as it's "easier" but it definitely pays to shop around!
My other aims for the year include:
- making healthier choices (not to diet, per se) but to be more aware of what and how much I eat.
- Work towards doing more in my career, as opposed to just 'sitting there' and spinning my wheeels
- Enjoy the benefits that come with the travel that's part of my job
- Finally get around to cleaning out my stuff in storage
- Get serious about looking into a small business, but without going further into debt to pay for it
- Being more environmentally conscious (as mentioned in my previous post)
What are you aiming to do during 2010? What is the one thing that would make you happiest to 'tick off the list'??