Friday, January 8, 2010

Happy New Year...

Really I almost can't believe that we're already in 2010... 2009 seems to have gone so fast- which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It wasn't the best of years, and while some good things happened, I'm glad to see the end of it. 2010 means a new start and new goals and aims for the year ahead. I've tried to be realistic about what I want to achieve.

One of my biggest goals for this year relates to finances. I think in 2009 I was really in denial about just out of shape my bank accounts were. Now I've put one of my resolutions into action and have decided that this year, I am going to pay off as much of my debts as I can.

First step was to consolidate my credit cards into one account with a low interest rate. I always told myself not to get stuck into the credit card trap, but it just kind of happened, what with going on holidays, fixing my car and various other 'unexpected' expenses that popped up...

Now I've got 2.99% for 12 months on a balance transfer. I've paid off $700 on the card with the highest rate, and am beginning to attack the card with the larger balance. Soon they'll go onto the transfer so the interest payments will cut down, which is great. I'm going to try to shop less and only buy things that I actually NEED, rather than WANT (E.g. buying new underwear for work=ok Buying Victoria's Secret because it looks pretty= Not ok.)

I also said goodbye to my car insurance provider as I found comparable cover for a good few hundred dollars less- we tend to get attached to the ones we have as it's "easier" but it definitely pays to shop around!

My other aims for the year include:

  • making healthier choices (not to diet, per se) but to be more aware of what and how much I eat.
  • Work towards doing more in my career, as opposed to just 'sitting there' and spinning my wheeels
  • Enjoy the benefits that come with the travel that's part of my job
  • Finally get around to cleaning out my stuff in storage
  • Get serious about looking into a small business, but without going further into debt to pay for it
  • Being more environmentally conscious (as mentioned in my previous post)
I'm also going to Bali in April, to attend a friend's wedding, and while it doesn't gel 100% with my goal to save money, I'm determined that I'm going to make the trip without spending on my credit card. Sadly, I have to take it as the hotels require one to secure bookings, but I'm looking into getting my holiday money on a Visa debit so I can't spend more than I can afford. Once I've taken that trip, it's going to be head down and save save save, putting that money into my debts.

What are you aiming to do during 2010? What is the one thing that would make you happiest to 'tick off the list'??

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have some great goals for 2010, I'm sure its going to be a great year for many people :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 2010 lovely lady!

    You have some very noble resolutions :) I like them...and good luck!

    Yay for Bali in April - so jealous, I'd go back there in a second.
    I love that you can have fun in Bali on all different budget levels, so you can indulge yourself guilt free with a holiday, really! ;)
    Just go with that one anyway, ha!

    <3 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks PLP! :)

    Thank you P Blonde, lol yes no guilt here, even if I did have a huge holiday in Sept, it was my first since 2006 so I'm making up the deficit in Bali :P

    ReplyDelete

Speak up!

My Instagram